Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week 31 : Disastrous Tuna Casserole



2 1/2 cups dry noodles
1 tea salt
1/2 chopped onion
12 ou canned tuna
1 can cream of mushroom soup
half a can of water
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
1 cup frozen peas

Mix all ingredients, except peas, together in Crock Pot.  Cook on LOW 6-8 hours.  Add peas during last 20 minutes of cooking.

Oh no!  What every food blogger fears- a disastrous turn out!  I know what you're thinking.  Uhhhh, isn't tuna casserole easy enough without using a Crock Pot?  Well, yes.  It is.  That was my point.  I will admit that I wanted to cheat a bit this week and just throw something together that was easy and a no brainer.  Sigh, that's what I get for trying to slack at Week 31!  Terrible!  Only one word describes the consistency of this recipe...MUSH!  I didn't even cook it for the full amount of time and the edges were black and crispy.  Now, I have to soak the pot over night!!!  Oh, sorry guys!  I'm not revealing the source of this recipe this week!

Now, with tuna casserole you either love it or you hate it.  Growing up, it was a treat to get this because my dad never liked it.  We would ask for this when he went traveling for work!  Still, there are days when I wake up and crave tuna casserole.  It's so easy and such comfort food.  Also, only one of the very few ways I will eat peas!  Every family has their own version of this recipe.  I thought I would share my family's recipe here and make up for the mess I created!

Mom's Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 can tuna, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3/4-1 soup can of milk
1 cup frozen peas
1 bag egg noodles, cooked
1 cup bread crumbs

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except bread crumbs.  Pour into casserole dish.  Sprinkle bread crumbs (can also use crushed crackers or potato chips) over top of casserole.  Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes.  Enjoy- this one tastes great!

So, this week I am thankful that I always keep a spare package of chicken breasts in the freezer.  I'm going to go fire up the grill now and pull out the leftover pasta salad in the fridge!  Better luck next week!













3 comments:

  1. Alison, what did you expect!! It is TUNA casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be a hater just because you don't like Tuna Casserole!!! There are plenty of people out there who are disappointed to learn that you can't make this in the Crock Pot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and I always got Whoppers when my dad went out of town...Tuna Casserole was like liver to me, I'm with your dad!! :)

    ReplyDelete