Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 12 : Corned Beef and Sauerkraut





1 corned beef brisket
1 large jar of sauerkraut
several small red potatoes

Spread sauerkraut along the bottom of your slow cooker.  Place corned beef on top; sprinkle spice packet over top of beef.  Insert red potatoes around the beef in the pot- about 6-8 depending how big they are.  Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  What is a St. Patty's Day without a corned beef recipe?  Traditionally, I make corned beef and cabbage in the Crock Pot every year.  And, traditionally, every year, I throw 7/8 of a head of cabbage away.  I don't like plain cabbage and I don't want to pretend to like it for one week a year any more.  So, this year I am starting my own tradition!  (However, if you would like the cabbage instead, the recipe is the same except you need to add some water to the pot and the cabbage goes on top.)  Now, it is always tempting to cut that layer of fat off of the brisket.  Resist the urge!  I have done it in the past and the meat turns out dry.  Whenever I cook a brisket, roast, whatever, that has that layer of fat on it, I always put the meat in with the fat side UP.  This allows the juices to seep into the meat while cooking, but also leaves that layer in place on the top.  When the meat is finished cooking, it makes it easy to just scrape off that layer and discard.  Another reason for the change in tradition?  REUBEN SANDWICHES!!!  A perfect way to use up the leftovers!  Simply spread some Thousand Island dressing on some dark rye toast, place a piece of Swiss cheese, and pile on the corned beef and sauerkraut!  Yum!

This is also the trial week for the slow cooker liners.  I was a little nervous about these at first.  The plastic is a little stiff and doesn't fit snugly to the pot.  This doesn't allow the lid to create a good seal at first and I was worried too much heat would escape, and therefore lengthen the cooking time.  Not the case at all.  As the liner heats up, it becomes more pliable and the lid tightens up.  The best part?  No soaking or scrubbing of the pot for me now!

So after you eat your bowl of Lucky Charms on March 17th, throw one of these in your Crock Pot for a delicious dinner to honor the Patron Saint of Ireland!  (And be sure to finish it off with a glass of Irish whiskey!)

8 comments:

  1. I said pretty much the EXACT same thing on my post for pork tenderloin. I ALWAYS put the fat side up! It works great for whole chickens and turkey too, regardless of what anybody says, put the breast side down and it will turn out juicy everytime. Who cares if the back is juicy, I don't eat that part!

    Definitely going to try this one. I love Reuben Sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- I have never thought of doing that with chickens and turkeys. They always look so picture perfect breast side up! I will keep that in mind for next time. Does it still get crispy and golden? Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about those liners-thanks for checking them out! My crockpot can be sooo hard to clean sometimes! I'm a cabbage fan with my corned beef-like to put vinegar on it, but I know not everyone does. You can make coleslaw from that leftover cabbage, too. We made the corned beef Sunday-yummy! Ruebens tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be making this for dinner tomorrow! It's exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to check out the rest of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy recipe, Thanks. How much water do you put in over the veggies, Kraut, Potatoes and beef? And, could you use chicken broth instead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect easy start to my reuben pierogies...it's what's for dinner

    ReplyDelete

  7. Can I cook the brisket frozen or do I need to defrost the meat first? Secondly, where do I purchase the liners for the crock pot? I was hopping to use a Power Pressure XL Cooker. I'm looking forward to cooking this recipe very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should I drain the juice from the bag of sourkraut?

    ReplyDelete