Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Week 32 : Creamy Macaroni and Cheese



1 lb box of macaroni
5 Tbs butter
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 can cheese soup
8 ou sour cream
1 1/4 cups whole milk
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 tea dry mustard
3/4 tea pepper
1/2 tea salt

Boil macaroni until tender.  Over low heat, melt butter and cheddar cheese in a saucepan.  Add cheese/butter mixture to Crock Pot.  Add all additional ingredients and stir well.  Add cooked macaroni and stir.  Cook on LOW for 1 and 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

So, after last week's terrible display, I decided to turn to the kitchen goddess who never disappoints....Paula Deen!  I was sure to have a winner with this recipe!  Who doesn't love home made mac n' cheese!?!?  In the summer time, I like to use my oven as little as possible, so this is a good alternative to my usual baked home made macaroni and cheese.  The only downside is that you don't get the crispy, crunchy top in the casserole dish!  But, I feel this is a good trade-off.  I used rotini noodles instead of elbow macaroni because, well, they're more fun!  I don't know if I would melt the cheese and the butter together in the saucepan again though.  It came out a saucepan of melted butter and a clump of cheesy goo.  I would suggest melting the butter in the microwave and then just adding 2 cups of shredded cheese to the Crock Pot and let it melt as the pot heats up.  I kind of feel like this was a wasted step and another dish to clean!  After a little heat and a little stirring, the cheese did melt evenly into everything.  I also don't think it takes 3 hours to cook, as the original recipe calls for.  I have had it on for an hour and a half (maybe only 20 minutes longer than my baked version!) and it is perfect now.  Any longer and it might start burning to the side of the pot.  And boy was I right about this recipe!  This is the creamiest mac n' cheese I have ever had.  Be creative!  Add some fresh broccoli during the last 10 minutes of cooking or stir in some cooked chicken.  Thanks to Paula for saving me this week!  Now that your side dish is made, turn on the grill outside for the rest of dinner and enjoy eating on your cool evening patio!






1 comment:

  1. Now you are talking! It looks delicious and you are right, everyone loves mac an cheese......even me

    ReplyDelete