Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Week 36 : Swedish Meatloaf



Meatloaf:
8 ou coarsely chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 tea salt
1/4 tea pepper
1/4 tea nutmeg
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork

Sauce:
12 ou mushroom gravy
2 Tbs milk
1/4 cup sour cream

Mix together 2/3 of the mushrooms and the rest of the ingredients for the meatloaf.  Shape into loaf and place into slow cooker.  Cook on LOW for 8 hours.  In a saucepan, whisk together ingredients for sauce and the remaining mushrooms.  Cook until thoroughly heated through.  Serve over warm meatloaf.

Every family has their own recipe for meatloaf.  If you are tired of the same ol', give this little twisted loaf a try.  It tastes just like Swedish meatballs.  I have never been able to properly replicate Mom's meatloaf, so I just gave up until my brother passed this recipe along to me from a Pampered Chef book last year.  (This can also be placed in the oven- 350 degrees for 60-90 minutes.)  I have made this several times in the oven, but this was a great way to make a meatloaf.  I thought I came up with a pretty good idea- I placed a Crock Pot liner in the pot and poked four large holes in it, thinking the grease would separate through the holes.  Well, that didn't happen, but it worked perfectly after the loaf was finished...I just lifted the bag and all the grease drained through the holes.  This loaf was just as firm as any you would make in the oven.  I'm sure any meatloaf recipe would work when cooked like this.  I served this with mashed potatoes.  I have also made this with plain white rice or egg noodles.  It was a little hard to get a good pic, but YUMMY!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment